Class Log 02-12

Today's class was mostly development on Analogue. There was a quick note on the location for the Office still being determined for Writer's Block, but that was all we had updates on.

We started by looking through the environments. We compared some of Shannons scenes to mine in regards to establishing the mood of the girl's journey. Should she be lonely and isolated, like on the edge of the mountain, or curious and playful like in my alleyway piece? The crew liked the spiral motif on Shannon's mountain, so we will be moving forward with that design. Several people said they would like to see it have a more consistent angle heading downwards, since it flattened out along  the bottom area. I would definitely like to see there still be a cliff-face for her to walk alongside. For my piece with the alleyway, it was very well received. People said it looked quiet but not sketchy, and someone said they could just hear the noises, which was a really cool reaction. Chris told me that the plants really helped carry the eye through the scene, and that we could cheat the foreground silhouetted plants with 2d assets so they wouldn't have to be modeled. 



I also did some paint-overs of the model Kyle made, and Rebecca is going to use the textures I made in her research. 




I also submitted a courtyard painting I started in order to give some color context. I still want to develop it more, but we need color images of other paintings so I will have to come back to it when I am able to find some time.



Kang did a great mockup of some buildings with figures in it, and we are planning to do a paint-over of those in order to create a possible final look. 

We looked at the character sheets for the artist, and we picked from a lot of great options that Ana provided. Coincidentally, it ended up matching the way I painted the character quite a bit, although I didn't have any glasses on her. 

Finally, we moved on to storyboards. We showed scenes from throughout the film, and it's really coming together. It looks like we will have to trim some stuff, but the exploration has been good. I went kind of far in my exploration of movement and character acting, but a lot of the team said they liked it because it was the first look we had into her quirky personality. I got some genuine laughs, so I think it was an inspiring pass at this segment for the crew.


For my scene, I received feedback that the watch bit was a little confusing. I flip the camera around a lot, and it isn't totally necessary to have all of those cuts. I'm going to explore another setup that will let me show it more simply and clearly.

For the next class, we will continue developing color images of our scenes. We are also correcting and tightening down storyboards. Our modelers are starting to build assets, so I am on call to help them if they need a specific design worked out. I also plan to do some paint-over on Kang's work once he gets it to me. 

Comments