Class Log 01-24

Today was our big pitch for the environment of Cinque Terre. The environments team did a great job of pulling together mood boards and reference images to showcase the potential we saw in the location. We also created sketches to show how we would innovate on this material. I chose to do lots of black and white tonal studies to give an example of just how simple, yet powerful this location's geography could be. Others experimented with color, constructive drawing, and other techniques to test the location's narrative durability.

For my pieces, I was considering how Hans Bacher would approach the shape language of an environment, emphasizing the depth through value and overlap. I wanted the city to feel rhythmic and alive, so I made sure to always include arcs and alternating patterns in my designs. A major element we liked about the city was the winding roads, and I wanted to make sure that was expressed in a larger sense as well. 

The class really responded to our presentation well, and we have been given the green light to lock the location. I am taking point on making the overall map and location design, while others will explore specific areas in more detail. I am going to do my best to keep the story in perspective while creating a world that feels bigger than our tale. 

Comments