Class Log 02-28

Today's class involved some final storyboard tweaks and more asset reviews. We are in full-swing modeling now, and our deadline is fast approaching.

The first major story discussion was about the final scene in the festival. Gabi did a great job injecting some sincere character moments into that scene, which lined up with my thoughts. The only thing I thought needed a tweak was how it transitions into the scene of darkness. I suggested we pull out wider so the crowd could wipe the screen for an elegant transition. My suggestion was interpreted as an aerial shot, but Dennis explained it better to the group and it got approved. He and I came up with the idea while driving home from the last class, and I'm glad it resonated with the crew.

Character Crew brought us some more hair styles for Phoebe, along with some drawings of the Paperson. Dennis provided some nice options for the artist's hair, and we settled on an asymmetrical look. Ana did some nice gestural studies for how Paperson could act on the kid's drawings, and Anne designed backpacks for the kids.

For environments, Shannon worked on the color script while I refined the assets for the hilltop. I took the notes I received Monday and applied them all. I raised the roof on the archway a bit, which I think gives it a grander appearance. I also did basic drawings for the easel to break down the way it is put together for Addie. Interestingly, I realized it was actually two pieces, an easel and a pochade box. Realistically, this is not the sort of thing an artist would take out into the field, but we agreed it would be very iconic. I also added a statue topper onto the fountain for the hilltop area so that it would be an engaging subject to draw for the other artists in the first sequence. I intentionally kept it small so that it would not compete with the fountain in the final scene, although I am not sure if we will even see one there at this point. I also combined the textures of one tree with the shape of another to create a suitable starting point for our film.



The modelers had a lot to show us today. Addie made a bench based on my design, which I think looks amazing. She also modeled one of Shannon's vendors and Kong's table for the classroom. Austin updated the location for the alleyway sequence based on my painting, and it looks fantastic. Kyle is making good progress on the background character models. He is starting the females and gave us some lineups to review. He also tackled the seagull, which prompted discussion of how to handle the wings. I brought up that the neck is going to be an important area for geometry because of how far birds move their necks from standing form to flight. Rebecca rendered out some sequences with the textures, and they are coming along really well. The corners are looking really nice and everything is starting to get a hand-painted feel to it. She also showed us some glass experiments for the dress shop. We got some more layouts as well, with Valerie doing the dress shop and Mauricio tweaking his "Squirrel Suit" sequence.

Comments